Monday, November 5, 2012

Nostalgic Shreveport

I have lived in Shreveport for over 25 years, longer than any other place I have ever lived. So I guess I can say this my hometown. Not to say that I don't still love Northeast Louisiana, because I do. It's just that we raised our daughters here and my career has been here in Shreveport.
 
As you know, I was a prosecutor for several years. The last case I tried was the first case in which DNA evidence was used in Caddo Parish. It seems so common place now, but at the time, it was "cutting edge" science that only FBI Crime lab was analyzing. Today, with so many advances in sciences, practically every regional crime lab does DNA analysis.
 
Northwest Louisiana is where our children went to school at A.C. Steere, Caddo Middle Magnet and C.E.Byrd High School. We attended church at First Baptist Bossier, Summer Grove and now, The Simple Church.
 
We have lived on both sides of the Red River. I am licensed to practice law on both sides of the Louisiana-Texas border. We have played on Cross Lake and the Red River. I have worked in downtown and the suburbs. We have spent many hours walking through Betty Virginia Park and the Boardwalk.
 
As we get close to the Thanksgiving Holidays, with the Turkey Trot, and so many other traditional events, I am nostalgic. Recently, I was sent several nostalgic pictures of Shreveport and northwest Louisiana. I hope you enjoy them.
 
First Baptist Bossier when it was downtown

                             
1930's Texas Avenue
Early 1920's Texas Avenue





Sears in Downtown Shreveport




    
1950's Shreveport



 1950's Shreveport was a hotbed of racial tension and  civil rights advocacy. You may recall that Woolworth's was often the site where African Americans would attempt to eat at the lunch counter. Although this era is a  blight on the history of the United States and Shreveport, we need to remember it. We need to ensure that civil rights are protected. If you have not been to the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee (where Martin Luther King was assassinated), you need to make it a priority in the next six months.
 
Let's give thanks for where we are and the strides we have made from the years past. Let's give thanks for who we are and where we are going.

1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    My name is Josh and I, too, call Shreveport my hometown. I'm also what the internet calls a "roadgeek." Where did you find the picture containing Burt's Shoes and those old US highway shields? May I use that picture? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete