Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Should I go to the Amazon on My 50th Birthday?

On February 16 2012, my father's mother (Granny to me) would have turned 100 had she lived. I was born on my Granny's 50th birthday and I will BE 50 this coming February 16, 2012.

It's so odd to think that my grandmother was not even 70 when she died from dementia-related complications. As I recall I was about 16 or 17 when she died so obviously she  was about 66 or 67. My father has already lived longer than both of his parents. He will turn 78 in April.

So I suppose that in these times of contemplation, the questions of significance arise. I have no regrets in becoming a lawyer because I have provided well for my family even though I am by no means a "wealthy lawyer." Also, marrying Joan was certainly one my best decisions in life. I could not imagine living life without her, nor could I imagine life without Jessica and Erica.

I think that the best accomplishment I have had in life is being their father. I have not always been the best husband or lawyer, but for some reason, I think being a father suited me pretty well. I cannot say that I did it all right, but I can say that I was very focused on being a good father. I look forward to the day I will be a good grandfather. As far as I know, that time is not anytime soon.

In the meantime, what will I do for my 50th year? I am seriously considering going on mission to the Amazon with my daughter Erica. I have not prayed about because I think I SHOULD do it. Often times, we "pray" about doing things simply as a means to avoid making a commitment.

I can think of ten reasons NOT to go on this mission, but the primary reason TO GO is because we are commanded to GO. I am not saying this to put any guilt on anyone else, but to remind myself that if I can, I should.

So what do you think? Would you go if you could? Should I go?

I am really curious about your reasoning about why I should or shouldn't go?

Take care,

Mark

1 comment:

  1. Mark, you should definitely go! I've been learning more and more about the 10/40 window and all those who have never heard His name. Can we really just sit in our comfortable houses and drive our expensive cars, all while praying these people will somehow hear? If you can go...GO! If that opportunity is there, don't miss the blessing!

    ReplyDelete