Sunday, November 6, 2011

LSU Football: a lesson in being humble and fighting the good fight

I have rarely been to a LSU game in person, unless I was so high up that my ears pop! Yet, I love to watch college football.

I am not much of a fan of professional sports, until the World Series, playoff, Superbowl etc., but I like college sports. I'm sure there are plenty of obnoxious arrogant players and coaches (ie Nick Saban), but there are others who are strong builders of character.

Last night's game between LSU and Alabama was a great game. I really enjoyed seeing arrogance being beaten down even though there was no guarantee that the noble virtue of humility would prevail. In THIS case, it did! Go Les Myles.

In my job of defending companies who have been sued, I often fret more over beating the arrogance out of the opposing attorney.  Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't, but I keep fighting the good fight of striving to ferret out the truth and doing battle against those who think too highly of themselves and their cases.

Battling against arrogance may not be the most noble motive in the practice of law, but there are plenty of battles available. Why are some lawyers so arrogant and condescending? What does it gain them to act like that?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment